Pinterest

Monday, February 22, 2010

Zuchinni Sticks ala my BFF

My BFF Friday emailed me recently and unbeknown to me, had been reading and enjoying my blog posts! We have been friends for over a decade now and were roommates while we both went to school in Vancouver, B.C. She is still there, enduring the Olympics, while I write and work here in the Okanagan, B.C. Our life paths have diverged since then, but thankfully our friendship remains strong. We were always a bit like two sides of a coin since the fateful day she called me, responding to my hastily written ad for a roommate posted on the college bulletin board. At that time I was a chain smoking carnivore and she was a free spirited vegan neo-hippie. Now I am an ex-smoker, carnivore and married mother and she is a career minded vegetarian woman living and thriving in the city with her wonderful partner. Her fugality is nothing to sneeze at either! They are both the dearest friends we have and stood with us at our wedding two years ago. See? Here she is cheering us on as we make out.

We all try to get together as often as we can, heck I have known her longer than my husband and she is just as important to me as he is!

As a staunch and disciplined vegetarian, Friday is very creative in the kitchen. This girl can do wonders with any kind of soy product, TVP, legume or vegetable you could ever think of. I can remember some of my most cherished memories of living with her were in the kitchen. We love(d) to cook together. I even went veggie while I lived with her, though, alas, it didn't stick for me. I do understand the benefits and moral aspect to a vegetarian diet, thanks in large part to her gentle education. I have not ruled out returning to it one day.
I could write a novel on our friendship, but if this is as close as I can get to cooking with my BFF again, then, so be it. Here is her awesome recipe, made with love.

Ingredients -1 tbsp. olive oil -1/4 c. fine bread crumbs -1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese -1/2 tsp. rosemary -3 dashes of cayenne -1/2 tsp. dill -1/2 tsp. garlic powder -1/2 tsp. salt -1/2 tsp. pepper -1 lg. egg -3 small zucchini (or equivalent). Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread oil on a cookie sheet, coating lightly on entire surface. On a dinner plate or pie dish, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan, and spices. In a medium dish, beat an egg. Cut ends off of zucchini and slice into spears. Dip the spears into the egg then coat in the bread crumb mixture on each side. Place the spears on the cookie sheet and bake. I flipped them after about 5 mins. for all three sides to get golden. Tzatziki made a great dip.

Oh, man, who needs a fancy restaurant with the $12.95 price to go with it? This looks amazing and simple. Can't wait to do this Fri! Love ya!