Pinterest

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Domestic Diva


Somebody told me this week, butting in to a conversation I was having describing the frugal changes I have made in the last year and a half, how very domestic I was. I perceived the word "domestic" to have been said with a slightly contemptuous tone, as if it were a bad thing that I liked to find creative (and frugal) ways to keep my home and family. I brightly replied, "Thank you!" to the interjected, back handed compliment and continued on with my day. This is my standard response to such silliness. I get the same contempt sometimes when I use coupons or ask for my .41 back when I am overcharged at the store. I know that people accept the fact that we all are feeling the pinch of the economy, so why then, the underlying animosity when I actively take action to save my hard earned money? I don't consider myself a miser. In fact, many tightwads would scoff at my extravagance. I still like brand name food, for example. I just use coupons to offset a bit of the extra cost. I give as freely as I take from Free cycle. I feel good about the changes I have made and for the most part so do my friends and coworkers. They make the same income I do. They ought to understand, right? You would think, at any rate. Sadly, this is not always the case. I don't try to educate people. I hate it when people tell me what to do, so I try not to do it myself. If someone is interested, I will share all I have learned, though. If you see me out shopping, you can rest assured I will have my list, pencil, calculator and five year old, and I will be probably be too deep in thought to say hi. After all, if I am not paying attention, I will lose money, or a deal. I'm not stingy, nor rude. I am a Frugalista, Reccesionista, A Resourceful Lady! Whatever you wanna call me, just don't call me late for supper.
Who is making that again? Oh right...that would be me, The Domestic Diva.