Pinterest

Monday, December 14, 2009

You can call me Martha.

I spent my weekend baking up a storm for Christmas.

How do you like my hot buns?

I may have some company over to visit and wanted to have some nibblies on hand. I have been scouring the circulars for all the loss leaders and planning my snacks around the sales. I am amazed at what they will mark down to get you in the store. If you only buy the few items that are a bargain, you are really smart because you get a deal. I am still working on this though, I tend to think more things are "deals" once I get in a shopping frenzy, especially this time of year. I have managed a few coupon scores though, like $1.50 for dishwasher detergent. I stocked up on that one. I even sent my husband, (although he grumbled a bit, he finally realized it actually was a steal) to snag a deal of fifty cent tin foil and wax paper. He bought six rolls. I was at work and couldn't bear the thought of missing out on the one day sale. I think I may have become a tad obsessed with the deals. Must reign in. After the holidays, that is :)

Oh, wait, that is when the deals really begin....oh dear.


The other thing I made, and this I highly recommend, (right along with chocolate covered pretzels, drool, and yes, the salt and chocolate combo is fantastic!) is cake truffles. All I have to say is, keep these in the freezer, way at the back, or you will eat them all. I think pretty well anything enrobed in chocolate is good and these definitely foot the bill as a chocoholic's fix. They are so freakin' good. I made these from my left over birthday cake which no one wanted any more of. You can use any leftover cake for these! Keep this in mind over the holidays. Even fruitcake could work...

Two desserts from one boxed mix? I'd say that is frugal!

The icing on the cake? Well, the icing that was already on the birthday cake mixed right into the filling. I used peanut butter to stick it all together into balls and dipped them in melted chocolate chips. Then I decorated them with chopped walnuts and other sprinklys and popped them in the freezer on a tray. There is no end to the combinations you can dream up. They also look so great you could give them as a gift.
I also hear that Nutella in the filling is delicious. No, they don't pay me to say that. I am just a sucker for the Nutella.

Along with all the other goodies in my freezer, I think Santa is going to be one happy camper, or, Elf, as the case may be. Ten more sleeps!!

No comments: