Pinterest

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Everything is just peachy!

Yes, we actually did it. We actually were organized and bought and preserved peaches! This was one of my goals for the summer and so I am very satisfied to have achieved one of my umpteen million mini goals of which I aspire to. Peaches are one goal that is very sweet indeed. These little beauties were half price due to an error in the advertised price. In other words, the flyer was misprinted so they had to sell them at a reduced price. Yay for good timing! We were able to then buy the jars AND the fruit for the same price as the fancier, so called "canning" peaches. After spending the morning comparison fruit shopping, we found these a few minutes outside of town and decided they were worth hauling home. In the land of fruit, prices vary widely as does quality, so I am glad we shopped around. I'm also glad my mental calculator (aka my husband) was along. He was also instrumental to the actual canning process, which, as much as I talk a good game, I am also very inexperienced at. We managed to muddle through and now we have a beautiful bounty of peaches! With the skins and pits that were left over, we boiled them down to reduce, extracted the juice and made a delicious syrup. I didn't bother to process it in the canner, I will just keep it in the frig. It will be fantastic on waffles! Yum!

3 comments:

Lena! said...

I'm drooling!

Angela said...

Oh, yum! Peaches are my favorite!

I'm in the process of eating several a day, because the tastiest ones from the Farmer's Market are only in season 2 or 3 weeks. I don't know anything about canning, and I don't think I'll attempt it without an expert...

Congrats!

Bean said...

I used to can fruit and jam as a kid with my mom, so I used what I remembered plus what I could find online. Next time I will use my Mom's fave book on preserving, Putting Food By. It has very good instructions and saftey information. I'll have peaches in the winter now!