Pinterest

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Cherry Blossoms


After the Bucket o' Chicken incident I decided that perhaps I was going to a bit of extremes too quickly for my family to keep up. Yes, I want to save money, yes I want to budget and account for our spending. I like to make things from scratch but I can't expect my husband to do it all my way all the time. If he wants to buy tortillas instead of make them, for example, I will just be happy he is making supper at all. He really wanted a Bucket o' Chicken that day so what am I going to say about it? We already do not have cable, hardly buy new clothes or gadgets, have done well in trimming expenses, better than months past, how much can I expect all at once? I think the Bucket o' Chicken was symbolic. He wouldn't say much about it, but I have a feeling he got the idea that this was in violation of the frugal mindset. He is on board for the most part and enjoys being a part of the menu planning, I guess he just felt the need to assert his male independance and have Father's Day chicken, whether I approved or not. There are some things that I just can't have a say in, such as Transformer movies, leaving the toilet seat up and the occasional Bucket o' Chicken. They are his arteries, I guess...

So, progress, not perfection, that's all I can hope for!


I left the boys to their video games and left over chicken and I went to a film last night. It was a beautiful story about a married couple and their love for each other, even after death. She was an artistic dancer who served her family thanklessly all her life. He was a stuffy old workaholic who realizes what a schmuck he'd been, but, of course, only after she dies and he is left all alone to learn how to live without her. Luckily for him, he meets and finds help from a young Japanese street performer named Yu. It was appropriately satisfying to me with the mood I was in! It was a German film called Cherry Blossoms and was part of a series that our local film society was hosting. It was just six dollars, which I felt was very reasonable, so I treated myself to a night out. I also went for coffee in the coffee house across the street and it was just the sort of experience that I needed. I'm glad I took a night off to myself!
When I got home, the Man had made up the dinner I had planned for Sunday. He knows how I feel. I will think about replanning the meals for the rest of the week, we shall see...maybe I will just wing it this week. We have plenty of food in the house!

I will continue recording our expenses and tally up the best I can at the end of the month. The good thing about this is how much I am learning! Now that I have a printer, I will be able to print our bank statements as well, which will be easier.

I guess I have to put it all in perspective. I know we have a long way to go, but we are making progress. I will just have to be patient!

No comments: